[Tutor] A rant about Tutor homework policy

tutor.python.org tutor.python.org@pooryorick.com
Sat Jun 14 19:18:02 2003

With all due respect to the great minds which inhabit this list, I wish
to make known my opinion that this list would be more beneficial to all
if homework-related questions were not discriminated against.  To my
mind, one of the key values of the hacker culture is the free flow of
useful information, with each individual deciding for themselves what
knowledge to partake of.  When I am attempting to solve a problem, I
believe I know better than any third party what kind of assistance I
need.  No matter how many solutions are given away to me through this or
any other list, there is a never-ending supply of new problems to chew
on.  In high school I had books which only published the answers to
odd-numbered questions, which drove me absolutely nuts.  Supposedly,
this was to make think and come up with the answers independently, but
what it really did was deprive me of valuable feedback which I needed to
make sure I was doing things correctly.  Each person is unique, and in
the course of their education come to unique stumbling blocks.  Why
should we be concerned about whether or not we are helping someone cheat
their way through school?  Why should we care about sabotaging this or
that educational system?  Ultimately, it is the individual who decides
whether they will pursue real understanding, and no amount of integrity
policing by this list will change an individual's inner motives.  I for
one would love to see this list set politics aside and provide more
answers to standard computer science problems.  I have never been
enrolled in a university as a student of computer science and probably
never will be.  If valuable resources on the Internet decide not to
publish fundamental information regarding computer science for fear of
stepping on the toes of "educational institutions", then the knowledge
will effectively be limited to participants of those institutions.    I
say, make the information available to everyone, and let the cheaters
cheat!  After all, they're going to cheat anyway.  The rest of us will
avail ourselves of what information we need when we need it in order to
gain as much understanding as possible in the few short years we have
before the task of pushing up daisies falls to us.

Sincerely,

Poor Yorick
tutor.python.org@pooryorick.com