[Tutor] A rant about Tutor homework policy

Alan Gauld alan.gauld@blueyonder.co.uk
Sat Jun 14 19:57:01 2003

> if homework-related questions were not discriminated against.

They aren't discriminated against.
We just won't do the homework for you.
Thus if you ask a specific question, preferrably showing some attempt
at a solution you can expect to get a sensible answer.

But if you pose a question and ask other people on the list to
just provide the solution for what is obviously a homework question
then you can expect short shrift.

The same applies to anyone else too, if they just ask for code
to do something just because they can't be bothered learning how
then they will be advised to hire a professional at professional
rates!

Most of the tutors are professionals who normally expect to be
paid $50-100 per hour for their time. We are not in the business
of giving that for free unless we are convinced that the need is
both genuine and worthwhile. That is our freedom of choice.

> mind, one of the key values of the hacker culture is the free flow
of
> useful information, with each individual deciding for themselves
what
> knowledge to partake of.

And each deciding what and when to give...

> never will be.  If valuable resources on the Internet decide not to
> publish fundamental information regarding computer science

Nothing is being witheld, there are myriad web sites for those
questions, if you care to search. The tutors here will answer
any reasonable question. Just don't expect them to spend their
valuable time doing your work for free!

In all of this the python tutor list follows long established
internet etiquette, it has worked pretty well for the last 20
years or so...

Alan G.