[Tutor] built in functions int(),long()

cino hilliard hillcino368@hotmail.com
Fri Jun 20 07:57:06 2003

>From: Bob Gailer <bgailer@alum.rpi.edu>
>To: "Jeff Shannon" <jeff@ccvcorp.com>, tutor@python.org
>CC: cino hilliard <hillcino368@hotmail.com>
>Subject: Re: [Tutor] built in functions int(),long()
>Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 12:47:44 -0600
>
>At 11:37 AM 6/19/2003 -0700, Jeff Shannon wrote:
>[snip]
> > What has you confused is that Python, when asked to show you an integer,
>will automatically convert that integer into base 10 for
> > display. However, that's a feature of the display, not of the integer
>itself -- it just so happens that for humans, base 10 is easiest to
> > read, so Python accommodates us (unless we specifically request
>otherwise, through the use of hex() or similar functions).  Of
> > course, internally the computer will store all integers in binary format
>(base 2), because that's the way that computers are wired.
>
>"base 10" is ambiguous. We usually interpret that to mean the decimal
>system, but an 8 fingered alien who counts in octal would say "base 10" and
>it would mean octal.
Why would he say that if he was a digital arachnoid? Sure he would know base
10 because he
was using my convert.base program. Base 2 of course is the nature of the
universe. It is on or
it is off. At one point it turned on. I don not like to say time because in
reality there is no time-
just the obversation of change which we conveniently "label" time. Pepole
don age they just change.
This program is out in the universe im many places. I just changed a few
things an made it visible
here.