[Tutor] Re: compiling

Andrei project5@redrival.net
Thu Jun 26 13:46:02 2003

Tim Henderson wrote:
> Hi
>
> What are the steps you take to bundle python software after you have written it. I tried just compiling it into a pyc but it still ran through the python.exe. How do you make a standalone app.

You're probably looking for py2exe. Note that this doesn't really
"compile", it just sort of puts all necessary stuff (including the
python dll plus any modules you use) in a sort of self-extracting file.
Compiling to "real" binary code is not possible.

Note that, depending on the update frequency of your software, it might
be easier to have your users download a Python distro once and your
(small) program (py file(s)) often, rather than making them download
your (large) py2exe packed program every time (especially if you have a
GUI it might get quite large I think).

Andrei

=====
Mail address in header catches spam. Real contact info (decode with rot13):
cebwrpg5@bcrenznvy.pbz. Fcnz-serr! Cyrnfr qb abg hfr va choyvp cbfgf. V
ernq gur yvfg, fb gurer'f ab arrq gb PP.