[Tutor] Re: Gui recommendations requested: Which GUI wxPython or PyQT ?

Derrick 'dman' Hudson dman@dman.ddts.net
Wed May 7 10:52:20 2003

--y0ulUmNC+osPPQO6

On Mon, May 05, 2003 at 07:41:51PM -0700, Tony Cappellini wrote:
|=20
| I want to do some GUI apps in Python, mostly for Win32 programs.
| Since I don't know either one,  I have to start from scratch with both.
|=20
| Which is faster to learn ? (I have done some event-driven programming
| before)
|=20
| Which of the 2 gui's above is better to use, in the long run ?

I would choose wxPython.

I have experience using GTK (mostly through the gtk-- C++ wrapper) and
Swing (mostly in Java but I did one Python-Swing app using jython) and
am currently nearly finished with a school project using wxPython (due
on Monday!).

Swing is a real pain, especially in java :-).

GTK is fairly easy to learn and the layout methodology makes a lot of
sense.  The main problem with it is it is a little more difficult to
get running on Windows (IMO, but then again I don't have any MS
development tools) but may be easier with python than straight C.

wxPython is nicer to use than Swing, the layout methodology is fairly
similar to GTK and is easy to grasp as well (and get it to do what you
want).  As I've been working on this project I've noticed how many
"advanced" widgets wxPython provides.  It's really convenient when the
toolkit does the work for you.  Another advantage, if you need to try
and "market" your project, is that a wx application will look just
like any other MSW application when run on MSW.  Your non-technical,
and possibly even some technical, users will appreciate that.
(personally I prefer GTK even when I'm stuck with Windows, but I'm not
a "typical" user)

| Are there any comparisons of Python Guis available ?

Yes.  Just do a search on some web sites.  I have this one handy right
now.  A while back someone wrote a fairly comprehensive comparision,
but I don't remember who or where it is.
    http://wiki.wxwindows.org/wiki.pl?WxWindows_Compared_To_Other_Toolkits

-D

--=20
Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to
look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from
being polluted by the world.
        James 1:27
=20
http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/