[Tutor] What would you recomend a total newbie to do?

Jeff Shannon jeff@ccvcorp.com
Wed May 7 13:54:06 2003

roy ollis wrote:

>     What are the best resorces to learn python.  I'm a non programmer
> so i wont understand something with alot of tech terms.  I have
> downloaded 2.2.2 and it comes with a tutorial but i was wondering what
> other tutorials i should buy or download.  is there a book that starts
> for newbies and by the time you get to the end of the book you know
> even the advanced stuff?  And should i have downloaded 2.3.1b
> instead.  i wont know if the programs has a glitch or if it's me so i
> chose "stable" release?

I think that starting with the latest stable release is a good idea.  I
would generally recommend newbies to *anything* to avoid beta releases,
unless there's a compelling reason.  (Admittedly, Python betas tend to
be of notably higher quality and stability than a lot of other beta
software, especially that from certain commercial producers, but I still
think you're best off with a stable release.)

There's an entire section on the Python community website
(www.python.org) that's devoted specifically to beginning programmers.
 Check out the resources listed on

http://www.python.org/doc/Newbies.html

This should give you a pretty good starting point.  Feel free to come
back here to ask further questions any time you have them.

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International