[Tutor] funny true or false

Magnus Lyckå magnus@thinkware.se
Fri May 9 22:15:02 2003

At 18:46 2003-05-09 +0200, Michael Janssen wrote:
>Fair point but you can also do reasonable things this way: defining your
>own True and False doing the right thing in any context you need.

Exactly! I think it's great that Python manages to aid people
in writing simple and easy to understand programs without
stopping them from doing things in different ways than Guido
imagined.

I think this is a really good quality in Python. It focuses on
making it easy to do the right thing, rather than to try to
prevent us from doing things that might be bad.

Compare this with Java: You're not allowed to write code which
is not part of a class, but you can still write classes that
don't capture object-oriented ideas at all. You just get bad
old procedural code in a meaningless OO decoration. You're not
allowed to use multiple inheritance, since that is sometimes
aboused, even in situations where it's very useful. And so on...

--
Magnus Lycka (It's really Lyckå), magnus@thinkware.se
Thinkware AB, Sweden, www.thinkware.se