[Tutor] spell/grammar checking

Isaac Hall hall@ouhep1.nhn.ou.edu
Tue May 20 16:35:02 2003

Hi Peter,
I never thought about this before....But now that you have me thinking a
bit, I will offer my opinion.  More than likely, at one time, someone or a
group of someones sat down and actually coded in most of the words in the
english (and other) languages into some kind of database (likely a
database...maybe other things).  No doubt, there is probably some sort of
access to this/these database(s) online.  However, I would venture a guess
that because of the massive data entry effort involved in creating such a
thing, more than likely, you might have to pay to be able to just get a
listing of 'all the words'.  I did a quick search on google for
dictionaries, and found that most of them online only allow you to look up
words (for free of course).  However, I found that the mirriam-webster
site might be useful in a spell-checking sort of way,  meaning all you
need to code is the use/reading of the webpages  :)  I tried looking up
the word 'theese'  which of course does not exist, and mirriam webster
returned the following choices that I may have wanted instead:
	 1. Thess
	 2. Thais
	 3. these
	 4. thews
	 5. those
	 6. thous
	 7. thus
	 8. thaws
	 9. thatches
	10. Thurs

but as far as getting your own dictionary on your hard drive for a python
script to access....Im still not quite sure how to do this...

Here is the mirriam-webster site, for your perusal:
http://www.m-w.com/netdict.htm

Ike