[Tutor] I need ideas please

GREENDAY31087@aol.com GREENDAY31087@aol.com
Sun May 25 02:28:02 2003

--part1_191.1a28ed39.2c01bc11_boundary

I'm going to make a little program that tells the user his or her
sign-Pisces, libra, gemini, etc. This isn't a program I want people to take seriously but
I'm making it to test what I've been learning. This is my first language and
im not experienced at all.

Anyway, my first problem is the months. Determining what your sign is depends
on the month but it's not like every sign starts on the first day of the
month. (march 1st-31st: you are a Pisces) the different signs start in the middle
of the month. So you cant just take the input (month) and determine what sign
corresponds with it. I was thinking about making each month a certain value
and then asking the user the day of the month they were born. After that, the
program could add the day to the month value to make a new value. I could assign
a different sign to each range of numbers and if, say, the value was in the
range that 'Pisces' covers, they would be Pisces. Follow me so far?

My next problem is not as complicated as the first one but I don't know what
should be made into a function to be called. Should I make the whole month
thing into a function or should I not define any functions? I'm sort of confused.
Also, I wanted to know ... will this program probably need to use a list?

pisces(february19-march20)
aries(march21-april19)
taurus(april20-may20)
gemini(may21-june20)
cancer(june21-july22)
leo(july23-august22)
virgo(august23-september22)
libra(september23-october22)
scorpio(october23-november22)
sagiattius(november23-december21)
capricorn(december22-january19)
aquarius(january20-february18)

If you understood my explanation clearly, could someone help?
THANKS
-Wayne

--part1_191.1a28ed39.2c01bc11_boundary

=3D"Arial" LANG=3D"0">I'm going to make a little program that tells the user=
 his or her sign-Pisces, libra, gemini, etc. This isn't a program I want peo=
ple to take seriously but I'm making it to test what I've been learning. Thi=
s is my first language and im not experienced at all.<BR>
<BR>
Anyway, my first problem is the months. Determining what your sign is depend=
s on the month but it's not like every sign starts on the first day of the m=
onth. (march 1st-31st: you are a Pisces) the different signs start in the mi=
ddle of the month. So you cant just take the input (month) and determine wha=
t sign corresponds with it. I was thinking about making each month a certain=
 value and then asking the user the day of the month they were born. After t=
hat, the program could add the day to the month value to make a new value. I=
 could assign a different sign to each range of numbers and if, say, the val=
ue was in the range that 'Pisces' covers, they would be Pisces. Follow me so=
 far?<BR>
<BR>
My next problem is not as complicated as the first one but I don't know what=
 should be made into a function to be called. Should I make the whole month=20=
thing into a function or should I not define any functions? I'm sort of conf=
used. Also, I wanted to know ... will this program probably need to use a li=
st?<BR>
<BR>
pisces(february19-march20)<BR>
aries(march21-april19)<BR>
taurus(april20-may20)<BR>
gemini(may21-june20)<BR>
cancer(june21-july22)<BR>
leo(july23-august22)<BR>
virgo(august23-september22)<BR>
libra(september23-october22)<BR>
scorpio(october23-november22)<BR>
sagiattius(november23-december21)<BR>
capricorn(december22-january19)<BR>
aquarius(january20-february18)<BR>
<BR>
If you understood my explanation clearly, could someone help?<BR>
THANKS<BR>
-Wayne</FONT></HTML>

--part1_191.1a28ed39.2c01bc11_boundary--