[Tutor] Jen's not recursion and a long explaination

Zak Arntson zak@harlekin-maus.com
Fri May 30 14:31:02 2003

> Hi again all,
>
> I've looked through all the suggestions people sent, and I think my main
> question is whether I should keep stuggling with this, or go back to
> trying to learn more about programming in first place!

My suggestion would be to follow through the learning process, including
the strings. At the very least, you'll eventually want to print strings to
the screen or a file! In addition, learning strings will provide you with
the mental building blocks that can be applied to programming problems
outside (or including) strings.

For example, if I have an artificial organism with a genome (I'm probably
using biology terms wrong, so bear with me) represented by a sequence of
letters, say "AABBCDDDEEAABCDDEAAA", and I want to breed new organisms via
sexual reproduction, I cross with a genome "AABABDECEEAABCDBBCDA", I can
use string manipulations to produce a series of new genomes with random
cross-overs and mutation and so on.

Though that's straying from mathematical formula, which it sounds like
you're focusing on :)

--
Zak Arntson
www.harlekin-maus.com - Games - Lots of 'em