[Tutor] Sound and Python

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Nov 3 02:42:11 EST 2003

On Sun, 2 Nov 2003, Mike Wagman wrote:

> Can anyone point me to some tutorials on putting sound in python
> programs.

Hi Mike,

I've heard that the 'pygame' module has a good sound module; you can find
out more from its web site:

   http://pygame.org

It's been a while since I've played with pygame, but it seemed to be a
really nice toolkit for doing multimedia stuff.  I think it might even be
as easy as:

###
import pygame
pygame.init()
sound = pygame.mixer.Sound("SomeWaveFile.wav")
sound.play()
###

but then, I haven't tested this code out at all yet... *grin*

I just did a Google search, and on the edu-sig list, Dethe Elza gave a
great overview of the projects out there that deal with sound in Python:

    http://mail.python.org/pipermail/edu-sig/2001-December/001898.html

I hope this helps.  Good luck to you!