[Tutor] How to "install" new package?

Branimir Petrovic BranimirP at cpas.com
Fri Nov 14 16:11:59 EST 2003

What is the proper procedure to install Python package? Do I have
to create folder for package in any particular place in order
to run successfull install, or initial location does not matter?

>From the setup.py:

"""Distutils script for cx_PyOracleLib.

To install:
    python setup.py install

"""

Not knowing any better, the above leaves impression that actual
location of cx_PyOracleLib should not matter. Therefore, from
the command prompt on my Win2K:

C:\Py232>python C:\Python22Stuff\cx_PyOracleLib-2.1\setup.py install
C:\Py232\lib\distutils\dist.py:213: UserWarning: 'licence' distribution
option is deprecated; use 'license'
  warnings.warn(msg)
running install
running build
running build_py
file cx_CursorCache.py (for module cx_CursorCache) not found
file cx_DumpData.py (for module cx_DumpData) not found
file cx_ExportData.py (for module cx_ExportData) not found
file cx_ImportData.py (for module cx_ImportData) not found
error: package directory 'cx_OracleObject' does not exist

No matter where I move cx_PyOracleLib-2.1 folder before I run
setup.py - install fails.

What am I doing wrong (how should it be done)?

Branimir Petrovic