[Tutor] Re: Re: How to "install" new package?

Branimir Petrovic BranimirP at cpas.com
Sat Nov 15 12:05:20 EST 2003

Andrei, you are 100% right! Non-standard location for Python
install is NOT it. As matter of fact, problem was in the way
I tried to "install" the package. I did this:

C:\Py232>python C:\Python22Stuff\cx_PyOracleLib-2.1\setup.py install

Instead of:

C:\temp\cx_PyOracleLib-2.1>C:\Py232\python setup.py install
(python.exe is on my system path)

The difference - current working directory MUST be one where
package setup.py is!

Once I've started from proper place distutils created:
C:\temp\cx_PyOracleLib-2.1\build\lib then placed
required modules inside lib, then copied stuff to Python's
site-packages, then compiled all copied modules, and then
I became richer for an experience...

So the moral of the story is - "Always change your working
directory to temp folder where the package you want to
install is before issuing setup.py install!".

Thanks for help.

Branimir