[Tutor] Re: How to "install" new package?

Branimir Petrovic BranimirP at cpas.com
Sat Nov 15 21:13:57 EST 2003

To install that particular package I had to change working
directory to the temp folder where package setup.py was
located, and after that - everything went just fine. Since
I lack Python know-how I can not say if this is normal (the
way it normally is with other packages as well) or not. This
is how full setup.py I ran looks like:

"""Distutils script for cx_PyGenLib.

To install:
    python setup.py install

"""

from distutils.core import setup

MODULES = [
        "cx_ClassLibrary",
        "cx_CVS",
        "cx_Freezer",
        "cx_FTP",
        "cx_IniFile",
        "cx_OptionParser",
        "cx_Parser",
        "cx_PrettyPrinter",
        "cx_ReadLine",
        "cx_ServiceFramework",
        "cx_Settings",
        "cx_ShellUtils",
        "cx_Threads",
        "cx_Utils",
        "cx_Win32Pipe",
        "cx_Win32Service",
        "cx_XML",
        "modulefinder",
        "optparse",
        "_strptime",
        "tarfile",
        "textwrap"
]

setup(
        name = "cx_PyGenLib",
        version = "2.2",
        description = "Set of general Python modules",
        licence = "See LICENSE.txt",
        long_description = "Set of general Python modules used by a " + \
                "number of Computronix projects (cx_Freeze, " + \
                "cx_OracleTools, cx_OracleDBATools)",
        author = "Anthony Tuininga",
        author_email = "anthony at computronix.com",
        url = "http://www.computronix.com/utilities.shtml",
        py_modules = MODULES)

By the looks of it - I'd say that real culprit (reason for
forcing change of working directory) is hiding somewhere
in distutils.core.setup (but beeing Python newbe - what do
I know, may be its not?)...

Branimir