[Tutor] special character ( ñ )

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Fri Nov 28 20:54:30 EST 2003

On Fri, 28 Nov 2003 13:56:17 -0500 (EST)
clickron at webtv.net (Ron A) wrote:

> I have python 2.2.2.  Is there an easy way to type ñ (n with tilde) or
> other special characters?.

I am afraid that I'm not an encoding expert, but I guess you have the same problems
as I have with german special characters.
In this case it depends on *where* you want to print it:
In IDLE(python 2.2.3):

>>> print 'ä'
UnicodeError: ASCII encoding error: ordinal not in range(128)

If that is what happens to you, see what I get in a unix shell:

>>> print "ä"

If you just suffer from IDLE's limitations try idlefork :

< http://idlefork.sourceforge.net >

It's IDLE with a few extra features; as far as I know it replaces the "original" IDLE since python 2.3 .

cheers

Michael