[Tutor] Complaint about maximum recursion

Kirk Bailey idiot1 at netzero.net
Wed Oct 1 00:42:13 EDT 2003

well, off hand I would guess that the thing is exausting some preset limit on
system resources, and the language kicked in to keep the computer from crashing.
After 50 recursions, it ought to do something to terminate it! Now if it is
definately going to terminate, and do it before the system barks and barfs,
maybe there is a way to set the trigger level higher- or maybe this just means
you need to go buy another stick of memory???

hmmm, I should write a recursive function in idle with no end with a printout of
it's depth, and see how bad it gets before I have to reboot the box. Sort of a
suicide mission, but intresting, and I got all my chores done today, so what the
  hell...

Jonathan Hayward http://JonathansCorner.com wrote:

> My script now gets this error on starting up. What is wrong if a 50-line
> stack trace complains about excessive recursion?
>
> Traceback (most recent call last):
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 3878, in ?
>    multitasking.start_oracle()
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 2288, in start_oracle
>    server_init()
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 3802, in server_init
>    section.get_documents(1)
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 2614, in get_documents
>    self.possibly_include_files_from_directory, "")
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/posixpath.py", line 287, in walk
>    walk(name, func, arg)
>  File "/usr/lib/python2.2/posixpath.py", line 279, in walk
>    func(arg, top, names)
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 2681, in possibly_include_files_from_directory
>    self)
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 857, in get_document
>    return webpage(filename, section)
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 2805, in __init__
>    document.__init__(self, filename, section)
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 637, in __init__
>    self.process()
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 808, in process
>    self.compute_title()
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 2948, in compute_title
>    self.title = self.get_tag_contents("title", self.get_file_contents())
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 763, in get_tag_contents
>    internal = self.get_tag_contents_internal(tag, file_contents)
>  File "/home/jonathan/creations/software/inventions/datamine/fathersd",
> line 772, in get_tag_contents_internal
>    return my_re.findall(file_contents)
> RuntimeError: maximum recursion limit exceeded
>

> TIA,

end

Cheers!
         Kirk D Bailey

  +                              think                                +
   http://www.howlermonkey.net  +-----+        http://www.tinylist.org
   http://www.listville.net     | BOX |  http://www.sacredelectron.org
   Thou art free"-ERIS          +-----+     'Got a light?'-Prometheus
  +                              kniht                                +

Fnord.