[Tutor] Re: Databases [Phil Greenspun's Panda book]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Oct 16 20:29:39 EDT 2003

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003, Lee Harr wrote:

> >I'm currently experimenting on creating some python generated web
> >pages, = and was wondering what databases are used for... (Sorry if it
> >is abit to = vague/general)
>
> They are used to store data.  If your site is very simple, you could
> just use flat files (text files) or if it gets more complex you would
> want to use a relational database (postgresql is a very good free one)

[some text cut]

> Look at a site like http://slashdot.org/ for a great example of articles
> (and comments on those articles) stored in a database, then presented to
> users through a web interface.

There's another good online book by Phil Greenspun that talks about how to
develop a database-backed web site:

    http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/
    http://philip.greenspun.com/panda/databases-intro

The advice he gives applies equally well to any computer language, and,
more importantly, it's an entertaining read.  *grin*

Good luck to you!