[Tutor] long-to-string

Jimmy verma jim_938 at hotmail.com
Sat Oct 18 14:58:47 EDT 2003

Hello,

First of all thanks to tutor for providing their support. People on this
list are really helpful.

Now I would like to discuss something about my problem::

i have written a module to covert a 4 byte string into a long like this:

>>>def makelong(chaine):
...     # Make a long form a 4-byte string
...     return
((ord(chaine[0])*256+ord(chaine[1]))*256+ord(chaine[2]))*256+ord(chaine[3])
>>># Now call the function we just defined:
... makelong('oMAP')
1867333968

I packs this data with struct module

using '>L' format

I am able to unpack this and get the no from my file

Now i want is to convert the no back into the string like 'oXYZ' for which
this no was meant.

I would welcome your suggestions on how should i move ahead.

Thanks in advance.

With best regards,

J+