[Tutor] Timing a loop

Ben Mazer contrasutra at myrealbox.com
Tue Oct 21 23:08:05 EDT 2003

I have written a small script that creates a bunch of small text files.
I'm doing this because I want to benchmark file creation/deletion times
on different file systems.

Im looking right now about how to time how long it takes to create the
files. I looked at the Timeit() module, and that doesn't seem to work,
its for small algorithms.

I also looked at time.clock(), but I can't get that to display an
accurate readout, so I dont think that works (or Im not using it right).

I know I could use the UNIX "time" command, but it would be nice if
Python had a built in function. They probably do, but I can't find it. :P

Any help you could provide on timing a loop would be really helpful.

OT: How many files can reiserfs hold? I keep hitting "file system full"
limits when I get into large amounts of files (hundreds of thousands).

Thanks.
--
/"\ Ben Mazer <contrasutra at myrealbox.com>
\ /