[Tutor] Yet another question on Python and XML

Mike Hansen mhansen at cso.atmel.com
Mon Oct 27 10:19:56 EST 2003

> Re: [Tutor] Yet another question on Python and XML
> From:
> Terry Carroll <carroll at tjc.com>
> Date:
> Sat, 25 Oct 2003 10:20:47 -0700 (PDT)
> To:
> tutor at python.org
>

>On Tue, 21 Oct 2003, Jayprasad J. Hegde wrote:
>

>>You must have seen this question many times: Could you give me pointers
>>to some *good* source for studying XML processing--DOM,
>>especially--using Python? . . . Pointers to websites rather than books
>>would be appreciated.
>>

>I don't have any web site pointers, but I highly recommend the book
>"Python & XML," by Jones & Drake.  It's an O'Reilly publication.
>
>I see your email address is from India, and I don't know the library
>situation there, but I was able to borrow this from a local library,
>because I was too cheap to purchase a copy (or, put another way, the value
>of this particular book was less to me than the best price I could find).

Amazing! My local library's computer/tech/programming books are
pathetic. 99% of the books are 5+ years old. VB3, Turbo Pascal, Windows
95, Perl 4... you get the picture.

The XML how to is a good starting point...

http://pyxml.sourceforge.net/topics/howto/xml-howto.html

I just stumbled on to this site...

http://uche.ogbuji.net/tech/akara/nodes/2003-01-01/pyxml-akara

A XML Tutorial that was used in a presentation at Europython 2002

http://www.logilab.org/static/XMLTutorial/

I actually had better luck using SAX than DOM, but it depends on the
complexity of the XML document and what you are trying to do with it.
The XML docs that I was parsing with SAX were simple i.e. not too deep
in the nesting.

Mike