[Tutor] running process in parallel

Jeff Shannon jeff at ccvcorp.com
Mon Oct 27 21:49:59 EST 2003

Daniel Ehrenberg wrote:

>>>  i want to call and execute  other programs
>>>parallely from python.is that
>>>possible.?what tools do i need?
>>
>>What type of programs and what do you mean by
>>"Parallely"? You can use
>>os.fork or many of its variants to start child
>>processes.
>
> Funny, the version of Python I'm using (2.3.2-1)
> doesn't have os.fork.

os.fork() is a *nix-only function.  On Windows, something similar can
be done with the os.exec* family of functions.

It's also possible, on Windows, to use os.system("start file.ext") to
have the OS take the action that's associated with the given ext
(usually running a program and loading the named document).  Unlike
fork() and exec*(), "start" will cause the program to run in a new
process, leaving the original process free to do other tasks.  (I
believe that there's a comparable *nix command, but I'm not certain
what it is offhand...)

Jeff Shannon
Technician/Programmer
Credit International