[Tutor] instantiating subclass by parameter

Lloyd Kvam pythontutor at venix.com
Tue Oct 28 19:28:40 EST 2003

Well, normally you would have your code organized so that there
was an object - other than the module namespace - to hold the names.

There is a function, globals() which provides the dictionary used
for managing the names in the module namespace.  I believe that it
is usually possible to assign values into that dictionary.  However,
the need to do that is an indication that you are using Python to
code some other language.

In other words, if you want to be able to write
	alpha.foo()
then why are you relunctant to write
	alpha = factory('altavista')

If you need to setup some other class to be able to use alpha as a
variable name, then you can use the setattr function on that object
to create the variable alpha initalized to the proper instance of
WebSearch.

I think if you simply do direct assignments for now, as your code evolves,
you'll find a resonable object or container to hold the WebSearch
instances.

I hope that helps.