[Tutor] Re: Python vs. Ruby [where to find more about Ruby]

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Wed Oct 29 19:28:52 EST 2003

> Python docs are a lot better too, especially the ones in the ActiveState
> distro; the there isn't even a "docs" entry in my Ruby program group!
> Another advantage is that the whole of Python is quite English-oriented,
> while a lot of Ruby stuff is still in Japanese only (at least I presume
> it's Japanese), or really broken English.

Hi Andrei,

There are some good Ruby books out there.  In fact, the folks who wrote
"The Pragmatic Programmer" have released their own Ruby book online:

    http://www.rubycentral.com/book/index.html

Hmmm... but I'd better balance my karma by providing a link to a nice
online Python book too.  *grin*

    http://diveintopython.org/

> Nevertheless, Ruby does seem like a nice language and if Python wasn't
> around, I'd probably hang around on the ruby-tutor list now (oh, wait,
> that doesn't exist :)).

I haven't been able to find an explicit Ruby-tutor mailing list, but I'm
sure that the ruby-talk mailing list at:

    http://www.ruby-lang.org/en/20020104.html

is well suited for asking general Ruby learning questions.

Good luck to you!