[Tutor] Re: test if file is not ascii

Roger Merchberger zmerch at 30below.com
Fri Oct 31 14:39:37 EST 2003

At 14:19 10/31/2003 -0500, Paul Tremblay wrote:

[snippety]

>I have tried this code:
>
>for letter in line:
>    char = ord(letter)
>    if char < 20:
>         sys.stderr.write('File contains illegal characters.\n')
>         return 101

Checking each individual char [as you noticed] is insane...

... have you tried a regular expression?

Something like:
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

import re

bb = 'this is the search string that I want to see is in it...'
if re.search('[\x00-\x19]',bb):
   print "Yes it's in there"
else:
   Print "No, it's not in there"

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

However, I don't know off the top of my head how to specify special
characters in regexps... What I listed might work, but I didn't have a
chance to check. However, I would think it would be faster than a
char-by-char search...

Hope this helps,
Roger "Merch" Merchberger

--
Roger "Merch" Merchberger -- sysadmin, Iceberg Computers
zmerch at 30below.com

What do you do when Life gives you lemons,
and you don't *like* lemonade?????????????