[Tutor] for x in myClass

Terry Carroll carroll at tjc.com
Tue Sep 2 13:26:01 EDT 2003

On Tue, 2 Sep 2003, Danny Yoo wrote:

> But if you are doing doing this for homework, please tell us --- we are
> prohibited from helping much with homework.

Really?  As long as someone's making an attempt to solve the problem,
instead of just stating the problem and asking for a solution, I have no
qualms about helping with homework.  In my book, "helping with homework"
is okay; "doing the homework," not so much.

Helping with homework on this list is not too different from the "debug
service" I offered as part of the Computer Science Association I was a
member of when I was in undergrad.  Students would come in with their
program listings and ask for help; we'd give it.  Sometimes it was true
debugging, figuring out why their results were unexpected (or explaining
error messages); other times, it was guiding them to the right track.

We didn't do their homework, but we helped them with it.

As long as the motive is to progress through the work, and not to bypass
it, I don't see an issue.  Darwin knows you guys have helped me learn a
lot (although not with homework).

--
Terry Carroll        |   "I say to you that the VCR is to the American
Santa Clara, CA      |   film producer and the American public as the
                     |       Jack Valenti, MPAA President
Modell delendus est  |       Testimony before Congress, 1982