[Tutor] what are some alternatives to XMLRPC?

amk at amk.ca amk at amk.ca
Tue Sep 16 08:50:17 EDT 2003

On Mon, Sep 15, 2003 at 10:00:06PM -0400, R. Alan Monroe wrote:
> Apart from the speed concerns I also ran into some other problems with
> unparseable data when selecting from other tables
> (xml.parsers.expat.ExpatError: not well-formed (invalid token): line
> 37018, column 27)

The strings passed in XML-RPC are simply embedded in the generated XML, so
they can't contain control characters that are illegal in XML.  If strings
contain 8-bit characters, they should be encoded in UTF-8.

> Can anyone suggest some faster alternatives? I'm trying to make a bare
> bones 3 tier environment where a client makes an API call to an app
> server via XMLRPC, the app server gets data from a database and sends
> it back to the client.

Pick some different format for encoding your database queries --
rfc2822-style headers?  comma-separated files? -- and just retrieve this
format over HTTP.  Or, figure out some way to retrieve fewer records at a
time.

--amk