[Tutor] Need help: Want to write a Platform Independent Network Messenger client

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 18 12:54:27 EDT 2003

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Alok Rai wrote:

>     I am fairly new to the Python community in terms of writing
> significant Python code. I want to write a (Platform Independent) LAN
> messenger client in Python. Any pointers in this regard (existing
> libraries, tools, etc.) would be appreciated.

Hi alok,

Time to toss a bunch of URLs out!  *grin*

There's a IM protocol called "Jabber" that's in wide use:

    http://www.jabber.org/

There are a few Python projects out there that are using the Jabber
protocol:

    http://imcom.floobin.cx/
    http://bigasterisk.com/hiss/FrontPage

so you can take a look at those as examples of clients.

There is a Jabber library that you can use:

    http://www.jabber.org/developer/librarylist.php
    http://jabberpy.sourceforge.net/

and there may even be an alternative Jabber library in the 'Twisted
Python' network framework, according to a thread here:

http://twistedmatrix.com/pipermail/twisted-python/2003-February/003072.html

Good luck to you!