[Tutor] simple MS office addins, spambayes style

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Thu Sep 25 17:00:31 EDT 2003

On Wed, 24 Sep 2003, Jeff Kowalczyk wrote:

> I'm interested in bundling python code into office addins. I want to get
> rid of VBA for various object-model manipulation functions that I write
> to automate end-user tasks.

Hi Jeff,

Hmmm... you might want to ask your question on the Python-win32 list.
I'm not sure if many of us have enough experience with this to help you
effectively.  The win32 folks, though, should be better equipped to point
you in the right direction

You can find Python-Win32 here:

> The Spambayes Outlook plugin is extremely impressive and I would like to
> emulate it, but its getting a bit daunting to factor out the minumum
> code necessary for a non-graphical user function library.
>
> http://cvs.sourceforge.net/cgi-bin/viewcvs.cgi/spambayes/spambayes/Outlook2000/addin.py

I haven't yet had the time to look at how Spambayes does its communication
with Outlook, unfortunately.  If I get the chance, I'll take a glance.

> I'd like to generalize the addin boilerplate code across other office
> Apps supporting addins if I can, so I want to start with the simplest
> possible python code and work my way up.

It sounds like a very interesting project!  Definitely get in touch with
the other win32 developers on the Python-win32 list: I'm sure you'll get
good responses there.

Good luck to you!