[Tutor] RE: simple MS office addins, spambayes style (Jeff Kowalczyk)

Jeff Kowalczyk jtk at yahoo.com
Thu Sep 25 21:55:11 EDT 2003

Mike Hansen:
> As much as I love python, this doesn't seem appropriate. I'm not sure
> why you'd want to do this. Those who'd use the addins would need to
> install python to get them to work. It makes distribution more
> complicated.

I find myself writing VBA code for Outlook, Access and Excel users quite
often. The situations typically involve a repetitve task that isn't
regular enough (or important enough) to write a full blown application
for, or to hold the users over until their application comes up in the
development queue. Deployments are usually very small, and I put python
and python-win32 on most computers I'm given access to, just on principle
;)

After spending time almost exclusively using python, going back to write
some more VBA recently was aggravating. I miss the string manipulations,
sequences, dictionaries, exception handling - All those virtues are
ideally suited for the types of data-normalization/object-model manipulation
code that I try to spend as little time writing and maintaining as
possible.