[Tutor] Introduction and ? re: searching the list's archives

Robert Lilly rclilly at cox.net
Sun Sep 28 11:50:21 EDT 2003

Hello everyone,

My name is Robert and I just signed up to the list. I am looking forward to
learning how to program using Python. My background in programming is
limited to Visual Basic, which some would say means I don't know anything
about programming. ;-)   I have written several sophisticated programs using
MS Excel and VB, including a real-time signaling program for stock trading.
I am not familiar with programming that isn't tied into some other
application's object model, however. So, for all intents and purposes, I am
learning both the Python programming language and object-oriented
programming.

I know that many of the questions I will want to ask have probably already
been discussed. So I've downloaded the mbox archive so that I may search
through it before asking a question. However, I'm not sure what an efficient
means for searching it may be. Does anyone have any recommendations on how
to go about searching an mbox archive? I am working primarily under Windows
2000, but I have Cygwin installed, so a *nix solution may be viable as well.

I'm not sure what the etiquette for this group is yet, so forgive me if this
post is off-topic.

Thanks,

Robert Lilly