[Tutor] Database acces vs XML

Jorge Godoy godoy at metalab.unc.edu
Mon Sep 29 10:34:24 EDT 2003

Guillermo Fernandez <guillermo.fernandez at epfl.ch> writes:

> 1- Would I gain in speed and RAM with the use of a database?
> 2- If it's the case, would XML resist the search over 150000 entries?
> 3- How much would I loose in speed with an XML document compared to
> the MySQL database?

Depending on how you're going to traverser the XML tree, I think you'd
end using more RAM than you're using now.

The RDBMS solution (you can use sqlite for that, there's a pysqlite
binding --- it's a file based database, very fast and requires no
maintenance work) seems better to me (but we already use databases for
other projects here)... It is also faster and can simplify a lot of
the work if it's done on the server instead of on the client (again,
we use PostgreSQL and I don't know if MySQL support stored
procedures and triggers).

See you,
--
Godoy.     <godoy at metalab.unc.edu>