[Tutor] Introduction and ? re: searching the list's archives

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Sep 29 17:21:23 EDT 2003

On Sun, 28 Sep 2003, Robert Lilly wrote:

> > On Sunday, September 28, 2003, at 11:50  AM, Robert Lilly wrote:
> >
> > > Does anyone have any recommendations on
> > > how
> > > to go about searching an mbox archive? I am working primarily under
> > > Windows
> > > 2000, but I have Cygwin installed, so a *nix solution may be viable as
> > > well.
> >
> > Here is a Jython-based solution:
> >
> > <http://mail.python.org/pipermail/tutor/2003-March/021319.html>
> >
> > (Jython is a version of Python that is implemented in Java rather than
> > C, and offers excellent integration with existing Java code.)
>
> Thanks Erik, but since I'm just starting to learn Python, understanding
> the subtle, or not so subtle, differences between it and Jython is not
> something I'm ready to do yet. I have downloaded the scripts, however,
> and will get back to them when I have a little more experience under my
> belt.

Hi Robert,

Yes, I'll have to clean up that code and package it nicely sometime.  I'm
so embarassed that I can't seem to finish what I start... *sigh*

(It turns out that someone else has written about using Jython to drive
Lucene:

    http://webservices.xml.com/pub/a/ws/2003/05/13/email.html

... wait!  Oh, nice!  According to a comment on the bottom of that page,
someone has written a Python port of Lucene called 'Lupy'!

    http://www.divmod.org/Lupy/index.html
)

Anyway, talk to you later!