[Tutor] why "self" in methods?

Chris Lott chris at chrislott.org
Mon Apr 5 11:13:08 EDT 2004

Alan Gauld wrote:

 >>...     def sayHello(self):
 >>...         print "hi, I'm SomeClass"
 >

 > But sayHello is not unbound in the sense mentioned in the OP
 > (which actually may not be the right term!). What I was really
 > asking was what use (if any) do methods without a self parameter have?

The OP (me) is completely clueless at the moment, but I was asking about
creating a method such as def noSelf() in your code below:

 > ...     def sayHello(self):
 > ...         print "hi, I'm SomeClass"
 > ...     def noSelf():
 > ...         print "I'm selfless"

My original question was why, if it lacked a parameter, it didn't just
automatically take the parameter self...  that they can be created but
not used doesn't seem very Pythonic :)

Chris Lott