[Tutor] Re: Generating OpenOffice files or Automation

Andrei project5 at redrival.net
Wed Apr 7 15:05:31 EDT 2004

mjekl at clix.pt wrote on Tue, 06 Apr 2004 22:05:40 +0100:

> I've been considering Automation to generate OpenOffice files with Python (this lead me to using pyUNO and the Python 22 included in the
> distribution of OpenOffice). My second alternative is generating OpenOffice XML files from Python.

> I guess (since I'm a beginner in Programming) both approaches are suitable for template (template like) generation of files. I have a feeling that using
> XML would probably be simpler ?

I'm tempted to share that feeling, particularly if you only need a
relatively limited subset of what OpenOffice offers: I think it would prove
easier than learning pyUNO properly. Btw, you could perhaps even consider
(X)HTML, which OpenOffice should be able to import.
On the other hand, if you plan to do more OOo stuff later, it's probably
worth investing some time in learning how to use pyUno now.

<snip>
> Can anyone give me some ideas / impressions on this.< /p>

The formats are such that if you know what you want, you can probably just
write a 'template' for it in OO Writer, save, unzip, open the xml in some
text editor and use that as a template. This might be sufficient for
relatively simple stuff, without even reading specs :).

By the way, please try to post in plain text only or plain text and HTML
(but not just HTML). Some people won't even see your message if it's in
HTML format and others (like me) will have to do extra work to get to the
HTML contents.

--
Yours,

Andrei