[Tutor] can you turn strings from a file into raw strings?

Jonathan Hayward jsh47 at cam.ac.uk
Fri Apr 9 06:23:42 EDT 2004

> I think I confused myself by assuming that stuff that worked one way
> in the interactive prompt on strings typed in as literals and assigned
> to variables would work the same on a string taken from
> file.readline(). Clearly I need to know more about Python before
> running around making assumptions!

Go ahead and make mistakes, and let other people see your assumptions.
It's one of the best ways to learn, and Tutor has people who will gently
correct your assumptions.

Neil Postman, in _The End of Education_, talked about mistakes. He
describes them as a valuable opportunity for a teacher to see what a
student is thinking, and offer guidance that the teacher might not know
to offer. Someone said, 'You need to make a million mistakes to learn a
language, so get cracking!'

++ Jonathan Hayward, jonathan.hayward at pobox.com
** To see an award-winning website with stories, essays, artwork,
** games, and a four-dimensional maze, why not visit my home page?
** All of this is waiting for you at http://JonathansCorner.com