[Tutor] List of available modules

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Fri Apr 9 20:06:39 EDT 2004

On Fri, 9 Apr 2004, [ISO-8859-1] Gon=E7alo Rodrigues wrote:

> Em Fri, 9 Apr 2004 14:03:47 -0700 (PDT), Marilyn Davis
> <marilyn at deliberate.com> atirou este peixe aos pinguins:
>

> >I think I remember that I can import something so that I can look at
> >the list of available modules.  Can anyone remind me of how that goes?
> >

> What do you mean by "list of available modules", the modules that are
> available for import? As far as I know there isn't one. There can be
> many such, not just the ones from the standard library but also
> third-party ones. The docs are your best bet.

Hello,

Actually, there is a way to do it: 'help()' knows what modules are
accessible:

###
>>> help('modules')

Please wait a moment while I gather a list of all available modules...

ArrayPrinter        buildDecorator      lovins              signal
Autoformat          cPickle             macpath             site
BaseHTTPServer      cStringIO           macurl2path         smtpd
Bastion             cacher              mailbox             smtplib
Bio (package)       calendar            mailcap             sndhdr
BioSQL (package)    cgi                 make_xml_descriptor socket
CDROM               cgitb               markupbase          spmatrix
CGIHTTPServer       chunk               marshal             spmatrix_util
Canvas              cmath               math                sqlite
(package)
CompatMysqldb       cmd                 maximum_digit_total sre
ConfigParser        code                md5                 sre_compile
Cookie              codecs              memsize             sre_constants
DLFCN               codeop              merge               sre_parse

[... lots of text cut]
###

But the output can be so overwhelming that it might not really be useful.

The module documentation in:

    http://www.python.org/doc/lib/

is still lengthy, but tries to summarize each publically documented
module, rather than all available modules.

Is there a particular module that you're looking for, though?

Talk to you later!