[Tutor] Re: 'Common' mistake ... for other newbies

Lee Harr missive at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 12 13:14:58 EDT 2004

>I started with the text below, but if you don't like detailed reports of
>newbie fumbles, skip this post. Points to not quitting but continuing to
>hack at it ... my first real bug.

This is excellent advice for everyone ...

So many times, I have started working on a message to a mailing list
or bug tracker trying to explain exactly what I am doing and what is
going wrong when  !  oh... I see what the problem is now!

It is one reason I prefer mailing lists to irc. It forces us to think about
things a bit more for ourselves, rather than just getting the answer.

Thanks for sending this in even though you figured it out. I am sure it
will light a bulb for someone else, and maybe encourage someone to
write a good question even if they can't find the answer on their own.