[Tutor] Newbie - mixing floats and integers (first post)

Adam adam at monkeez.org
Tue Apr 13 05:58:42 EDT 2004

Alan Gauld wrote:

>>helpful than the Java forums). I really liked the idea of
>>checking for a '.' and then casting appropriately (does
>>casting mean anything in python)?
>>

>Not really, the "cast" that Danny used is actually a conversion.
>casting means treat the data (without changing it) as if it were
>some other type. Conversion means take the data and change it
>into some other type. Python converts data it doesn't cast it.
>

>>I'll be staying :-)
>>

>Your welcome aboard :-)
>
>Alan G
>Author of the Learn to Program web tutor
>http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/alan.gauld

Alan,

Thanks once again for your comments - it is becoming clearer. It is
often good to know what goes on under the hood and how data is treated.
I'm working my way through "Learning Python" (thanks to
http://safari.oreilly.com) which is proving to be a very good starting
document - I can recommend this to others if they're just starting out.

Thanks once again.

adam