[Tutor] Network pointers requested

David Broadwell dbroadwell at mindspring.com
Wed Apr 14 03:18:39 EDT 2004

So now that I have this wonderfully extendible rock paper scissors engine
(the computer can play itself!). I want to perform the glorious, all
important task of playing rock paper scissors between my two consoles and
learning more networking.

To hit the learning curve, let's say that I have to use tcp/ip and for my
sake I'd like a pure python solution.

I'm aware of Tcp/ip from the client level and where it falls into the realm
of ports, icmp is a bit more than a buzzword and my firewall is running on
advanced rules.

Any recommended python api's for network stuff?

Where I've looked;
I heard of Twisted http://twistedmatrix.com and like the concept of
multi-server integration.
glanced at http://www.amk.ca/python/howto/sockets/
skimmed http://www.onlamp.com/pub/a/python/2003/11/06/python_nio.html?page=1
Of course as I'm on windows there are the win32 api wrappers ...
and things like http://www.nongnu.org/pydonkey/pysocket.html
the Library Reference has the 11.15 SocketServer

Maybe even lower than that, where should I start?

Comments as always, appreciated.

--

Programmer's mantra; Observe, Brainstorm, Prototype, Repeat

David Broadwell