[Tutor] Standard library modules not installed

Rex chidorex-pytutor at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 22 16:30:01 EDT 2004

> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 11:24:44 -0700 (PDT)
> Rex <chidorex-pytutor at yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm a newbie to Python, but proficient in Perl. Loving
it so far :)

> > I wrote a basic program that uses the comma-separated
values
> standard
> library csv to work on files. I use a Gentoo Linux box as
my main
> developing environment and csv is included as it is
supposed to be.

> > However, I am going to run this program in a RedHat 9
machine, and
> for some strange reason some libraries are not included
in this
> python
> installation (ver. 2.2.2). I have looked at several
library locations
> (e.g. Vaults of Parnassus) but the standard libraries are
not there.

> > Where can I find and install these libraries that
should, AFAIK, be > included in the standard installation of Python?
> > Why would these libraries be missing from the RPM
python package?
> Do
> you know if there is any RPM package that includes these
libraries?
> Might be even easier to get.
> >

> Which libraries do you mean? Is it possible that they are
included in
> some other RPM from your
> distribution you have not installed? Sometimes they split
up the
> standard library into
> a couple of RPMs ( for example Tkinter is usually a
seperate RPM).
> Maybe you should just try
> to search your distro's CDs for RPMs containing something
with
> "python".
>
> Michael

Hi Michael,

Well, I am looking for the libraries that are in the Python
web site under the Standard libraries. In particular the
comma-separated values one named simply 'csv'. It is described under:

http://docs.python.org/lib/module-csv.html

I looked into freshrpms.net and the redhat network. I also
have yum and apt as package managers, and when searching in all these
repositories I find a bunch of libraries, but none including the 'csv'
one I need.

Oddly enough, if I enter the python interactive environment i can issue
a 'import Tkinter' and get the module loaded. Not so when
issuing a 'import csv', in which case I get

>>> import csv
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<stdin>", line 1, in ?
ImportError: No module named csv

Any suggestions. I am sure I can probably find it and
download it, but
I am wondering why I need to do this.

Thanks again.
Rex