FW: [Tutor] math question

Crabtree, Chad Chad.Crabtree at nationalcity.com
Fri Apr 23 12:13:08 EDT 2004

-----Original Message-----
From: Crabtree, Chad
Sent: Friday, April 23, 2004 12:04 PM
To: 'Chris Lott'
Subject: RE: [Tutor] math question

> I can't conceive of why it would *matter* in anything I do,
> but I had a
> hard time explaining to my daughter when I was helping her with a
> math/geometry problem and showed her how to use the Python shell as a
> kind of calculator and was demonstrating to her and got
> 2.000000004 here :)

I have been thinking about this quite a bit.  Maybe you could simulate this
by checking if there's a variance out to 1E-9 if it's that close to the
number then it is that number.  I was thinking alot about it because I was
wondering how my calculator does it.  It only carries out the 14th
significant digit.  Perhaps a subclass of float and int could do this?

***National City made the following annotations

This communication is a confidential and proprietary business communication.
It is intended solely for the use of the designated recipient(s).  If this
communication is received in error, please contact the sender and delete this
communication.