[Tutor] math question

William Rance rantek at pacific.net.sg
Sun Apr 25 00:29:59 EDT 2004

These type of problems surfaced over 30 years ago when introducing digital
LCD readouts to replace the analogue.
The analogue precision was such that if for example you are reading a
temperature visually, if you could read within 0.5degc you were doing pretty
good, also two people would probably give it a different reading. Along came
the digital LCD with reading to two deciaml places and expectations were
magnified, even if your sensor was only accurate to with 1degC.This stiil
true today.
And so it is with programming. We now expect perfection, why? Just because
we believe the computer should be; it is man made remember. For floating
point arithmetic computation IEEE standard applies.
I also cannot understand the eduction system which insists on absolute
correctness; to me (a professional engineer) the method is more
important-tell a 9 year old that water always boils at 100degC and he
believes you, tell a mature student and he will laugh -knowing pressure and
other factors come into the equation?
Unfortunately I also find (in general)a female's mind works differently
/they seem to expect absoluteness/perfection -whereas a male is much more
tolerant looking more at the overall problem (mind you I can't recall any
female Noble Prize winner in maths/physics).
And so life goes on.....
Bill Rance