[Tutor] wierd error in comment string

Dave S pythontut at pusspaws.net
Sun Apr 25 07:38:40 EDT 2004

Hi all, my python learning curve continues :-)

I have a comment at the start of some experimental code ...
      1 #!/usr/bin/env python
      2
      3 """
      4 ...... blah blah
      5 ....... blah blah
      6
      7 The ftse trades from 8:15 to 16:30
      8 Expenses £8.50 per transaction + 1/2% on buying ... this equates
      9 to 1.4% on a £2000 fund
     10
     11 This logger is v2 ... pulls less data to avoid being blacklisted
     12 by the server.
     13 """
     14
     15 import urllib,time,os,re
     16
     17 todaysdate=time.strftime('%Y%m%d')
     18 old_ftsedata=''
     19

It appears to run OK but I get a warning message ...

sys:1: DeprecationWarning: Non-ASCII character '\xa3' in file
./ftseloggerv2.py on line 9, but no encoding declared; see
http://www.python.org/peps/pep-0263.html for details

I looked up the web page .... got confused. I thought all characters
inside """...""" were ignored ?
Anyhow I deleted line 9, same error, deleted line 9 again, same error.

Can anyone tell me in simple speak what has gone wrong ? :-\

Thanks Dave