[Tutor] Flip Book Animation without GUI?

Danny Yoo dyoo at hkn.eecs.berkeley.edu
Mon Apr 26 11:19:57 EDT 2004

On Sat, 24 Apr 2004, Jason Van Anden wrote:

> I am looking to do a simple flip-book style animation from a Linux
> command line - no x11, just run from the blinking cursor.  640 x 480.
> Any thoughts?

Hi Jason,

Have you tried curses yet?  It provides terminal access:

Here's a small example of curses in action:

and you can probably do some kind of flip-book animation with this.

When you mentioned no-GUI as a requirement, do you mean no graphics
altogeter, or just no GUI widgets?  If you want to access a graphics
library, the pygame library might be useful:

Lee Harr mentioned the 'aalib' project.  I wonder: is aalib is accessible
from pygame?  According to:

it might be possible to do this.

Good luck to you!