[Tutor] Listbox insertion

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Thu Apr 29 17:08:27 EDT 2004

> How would I go about inserting text from a file into a listbox.  I
was
> thinking that maybe a listbox is not what I am wanting.  See, I have
a file
> that I have created and it inserts a file name from an
askopenfilename
> dialog when selected. I then want to put the information into that
listbox
> (or maybe a label?).

The description isn't specific enough to answer, but it sounds like
maybe you want the listbox to hold a list of filenames and a Text
widget to hold the contents of the highlighted filename?

The Tkinter Text widget is a powerful widget capable of displaying
a lot more than text, it can also hold images etc.

> I am not finding much documentation about inserting
> information into a list box.

A Listbox takes a data item and inserts it at the specified
position. The easiest being END:

L = Listbox(root, width=20)
L.pack()
for item in [1,2,3,4,5]
   L.insert(END, item)   # appends item at the end

L.insert(0, 0)  # inserts at front

That's it... not too hard is it?

Alan G.