[Tutor] redirecting help -- is this a bad idea?

Kent Johnson kent_johnson at skillsoft.com
Sun Aug 1 01:03:57 CEST 2004

Brian,

You are right on both counts.

Assigning pyhelp = help makes both variables point to the same object (the
original instance of _Helper). If you then rebind help to a different
object, the binding to pyhelp persists.

The way to think about assignment in Python is that the variable is just a
reference to the actual value. Python variables are just names for values.
Values have their own existence. An assignment statement binds a variable
to a value. "pyhelp = help" means, "Whatever value help is bound to, bind
pyhelp to the same thing."

(I hope I haven't confused you too much, I don't think I'm explaining this
very well.)

I missed the point that your _PyHelper class has a different __repr__()
than the standard one. You do need a new class if you want to change the
behavior of the built-in help.