[Tutor] i dont understand

Alan Gauld alan.gauld at blueyonder.co.uk
Mon Aug 2 22:14:03 CEST 2004

> hey all im a new computer user and i would love to get
> into programing but i dont understand it for example
> why u have to use "?.() and stuff for.

Exactly the same reason we use them in normal language,
so that the reader (in this case the PC!) can understand
what we are trying to say. Thats also why we use capital
letters at the start of sentences in most languages like
English, it helps the reader understand whats written
more easily.

> i would really appreciate some one to lern me and give
> me basic step by step instructions

Similarly computers like us to spell things carefully
and use the right grammar, just like a normal language
(this is a problem for me because I type too fast for
my own good and make lots of mistakes!).

So treat the computer like a very literally minded
English teacher who won't tolerate any spelling or
grammar mistakes and you'll get along just fine!

Then to understand what you need to input to create a
program you need to think a bit like a math student
doing algebra. Lots of variables and math operations
and grouping of values in parentheses etc.

Itsnot rocket science just the basics of English and
Math that you get taught in junior school. But basically
computers aren't very bright so programmers have to do
their thinking for them!

HTH,

Alan G