[Tutor] Checking to see whether or not a filesystem is mounted--?

Michael Lange klappnase at freenet.de
Sun Aug 8 23:07:07 CEST 2004

On Sat, 07 Aug 2004 09:17:57 -0400
Marv Boyes <marvboyes at att.net> wrote:

> Anyway, enough preamble. I'm wanting to write a small graphical applet
> for mounting and unmounting filesystems with a button-press. Can anyone
> suggest a method for testing whether or not a particular filesystem is
> mounted (so I can inform the user with a message dialog)?

Another suggestion, which I found very handy for personal use:

    device = sys.argv[1]
    mntlist = commands.getoutput('cat /etc/mtab').split()
    if device in mntlist:
        <ask the user to unmount, etc.>

This worked fine for me in a little program that I use to put icons on my desktop for floppy and cdrom
which allow to mount the device and open the file manager with a mouse-click as if I were using Gnome or KDE; "device" gets
of course passed to the app as command line argument( like '/mnt/floppy'), and if device is already mounted you are asked to
unmount it or just simply open the file manager there.

Michael