[Tutor] trying to get data from digital camera.jpg file with EXIF.py

John Matthews jmatthews at mcb-inc.com
Wed Aug 11 15:18:46 CEST 2004

I read this list each day and find it quite informative and enjoyable.
Thanks tutors!

I am a beginning programmer and I am trying to use EXIF to get the
"Image DateTime" from my .jpg files for a little program I am writing
that makes web pages for my family photos.

I am trying to use EXIF.py by Gene Cash. He also has written
exiftool.py, and both of these files are available here:

http://home.cfl.rr.com/genecash/digital_camera.html

Just messing around at the interpreter I do something like this and get
what appears to be an empty dictionary.

import EXIF, os
file = open('temp.jpg')
data = EXIF.process_file(file)
print data

{}

I thought that would dump the same data I get at the command prompt when
I do:

exiftool.py -v temp.jpg

but I must be way off. If someone can offer me a pointer I would really
appreciate it!

Thanks!
--
John Matthews