[Tutor] Create file / Print list to file

Nick Lunt nick at javacat.f2s.com
Wed Aug 11 20:22:49 CEST 2004

Hi Klas,

>1. Is it possible to tell python to create a file (for example if specified
>file doesnt exist)? It sems possible to create a directory thrue the os
>module. But i cant find out how to create a file.

lets say you dont have a file called '/newfile'.

>>> f = open('/anyfile','w')
>>> f.close()

You do now ;) There may be an easier way, but that seems easy enough to me.

> 2. How can i print a list to a file? I have tried the following:

Your correct in that you cant write a list to a file, but you seem to be
iterating through your list in a strange way, this is simpler

>>> l = ['this','is','a','list']
>>> f = open('/anyfile','w')
>>> for i in l:
... 	f.write(i)
>>> f.close()

if you look at the contents of /anyfile it will contain the contents of list
l.

Hope that helps
Nick.

Hi and thanks for all the previous answers. I am still struggling with my
conversion program.

Here are todays questions :)

1. Is it possible to tell python to create a file (for example if specified
file doesnt exist)? It sems possible to create a directory thrue the os
module. But i cant find out how to create a file.

2. How can i print a list to a file? I have tried the following:

def writeListToFile(inputList, outputFile):
    a = open(outputFile, "w")
    listLength = len(inputList)
    for i in range(0,listLength):
        a.write(inputList[i])
    a.close()

but i get a "Type error"

inputList is list of lists (each row is list)

Klas
Tutor maillist  -  Tutor at python.org